Skip to main content

Working Holidays Abroad – Visa Info

By December 2, 2021March 31st, 2022No Comments

Working holidays abroad

Working holidays abroad has always been part of many young Irish lives and can offer some fantastic opportunities and experiences. Many of you would have heard of the J1 Visa or the Australian Working Visas.

Covid-19 has made travel in general and also working abroad very difficult, with working holiday visas not being processed at the moment. But don’t let that stop you planning and getting ready to go when the time is right!

This post gives information on many of the holiday working visa that are available to young Irish people.  You can also check out two other posts from Crosscare Migrant Project:


If you have any questions about holiday working visas abroad,  you can contact Crosscare Migrant Project, a fantastic service who provides support and guidance to anyone thinking of working abroad as a young person.

Working Visas


Working Holiday Maker Visa – It allows young adults to have a 12 month holiday, during which they can undertake short-term work and study. Visas are not being processed at the moment and strict travel restrictions remain in place. Check the Australian gov link for updates.


The most popular J-1 programs for students in Ireland are the J-1 Summer Work Travel and Camp Counselor Programs. The Dept. of Foreign Affairs has some useful advice.

J-1 Summer Work Travel – the most popular J-1 Visa issued in Ireland.

Camp Counselor Programs – working as a helper in residential camps throughout the United States.


Canada designed this program for young people (between the ages of 18 and 35) who are looking to work and live in Canada.

The three International Experience Canada Visas available for young people from Ireland are: 

Working Holiday Visa –  provides temporary work permits to young people so they can legally live and get a job in Canada. The permits are valid for either 12 or 24 months, depending on your country of citizenship.

Young Professionals – Gain Canadian professional work experience to better compete in a global economy.

International Co-op (Internship) – Get valuable overseas work experience related to your field of study.

Further information.


As an Irish citizens you can live and work in the European Union without a work or travel visa.

We have produced a Working in Europe Guide that explores:

  • the employment opportunities in Europe.
  • highlights the benefits of working abroad.
  • outlines job hunting websites and what supports are out there to help you achieve this goal.
  • also included are online tools to record/express the skills you have gained
  • and it reflects on the Careers of the Future.

Eures – European Job Mobility Scheme to help young EU citizens to find a job, traineeship or apprenticeship opportunities in another EU country, Norway or Iceland.


As an Irish citizen, you do not need a working holiday visa to live and work in the UK.

Other Working Visas

Ireland has working holiday agreements with a number of different countries. Countries include Argentina, Chile, Japan, New Zealand – More Information.

Skip to content