The Leaving Certificate Results will be out on the 3rd September 2021 at 10.00am. This year has been very different, especially for Leaving Cert Students but it’s time for the next stage of the journey!
There are many important dates that you need to be aware of over the next few weeks – here is the link to CAO Key Dates – be familiar with them and keep an eye that nothing changes.
Where do I get my Results?
The Leaving Certificate results will be out on the 3rd September 2021 at 10.00am – The results will be issued directly to you through the Candidate Self Service Portal
You will see one set of grades – in subjects where you sat the exam and opted to receive accredited grades, you will see the better of the two results. On result day, you will not know whether the result awarded was from an examination or accredited grade.
On Tuesday 7th September at 5.00pm, you will be able to see both results at the same time. This information may be be useful if you are considering appealing your results.
Your results will be transferred to the CAO to Higher Education Institutes.
How do my grades change to CAO points?
- The six best results, in recognized subjects, in one Leaving Certificate Examination will be counted for CAO points calculation.
- Each grade represents CAO points – Click here to read how many CAO points each grade gets.
- Another Useful Tool is the CAO Points Calculator from the Careersportal.
- Maths Bonus Points: The bonus points are included in the overall points calculation only when Mathematics is one of the applicant’s best six subjects following the addition of the bonus.
- One sitting only of the Leaving Certificate Examination will be counted for points purposes.
- Universities and Colleges within the CAO system offer places to the students with the highest points first – IF these students have put this course as their highest choice!
- Remember, you must first meet the minimum entry requirements in order to be considered for entry to a course – so it is really important to check this carefully!
How do I appeal my results?
Appeals Submission opens at 9 am, Saturday 11th September and closes at 12.00pm Monday 13th September 2021. The appeals process can be accessed through the States Examinations Committee’s Student Portal. There is no date yet on when you will know the outcome of your appeal.
If you are unhappy with your Leaving Certificate Results, you can appeal those results. However, appealing an accredited grade is not the same as appealing a mark in the written exam.
- If you appeal your mark in a written exam, your script will be sent to an appeal examiner for re-marking.
- If you appeal an accredited grade, the appeal will only check that your school data was correctly transferred to and processed by the State Examinations Commission (SEC). The estimated percentage mark provided by your teacher cannot be reviewed for re-marking.
On Tuesday 7 September at 5 pm, you will get the detailed information about your written exam and accredited grades performance (as applicable). This may help with the decision on whether or not to appeal under either process.
How do I appeal the Written Exam?
Viewing your written exam: Before you appeal your result(s), you can view your examination script .The viewing of scripts allows you to see how the marking scheme in each subject has been applied to your written exam. It will help you make an informed decision as to whether or not to make an appeal – Viewing of scripts will be held either in schools or online depending on whether the subject/level was marked on paper or online.
Application to view your written exam script opens at 5 pm, Tuesday 7 September and closes at 8 pm Wednesday 8 September – with Saturday, September 11 as the date to view your script in school. The online viewing process is delivered through the Candidate Self Service Portal and involves candidates having timebound access to PDFs of the scripts. Online viewing in these subjects will be available from 9 am on Saturday 11 September to 12 pm on Sunday 12 September.
Appealing the written exam: You can appeal the written exam results to the State Examinations Commission (SEC) from 9.00 am Saturday 11 September 2021 and closes at 12.00 pm Monday 13th September 2021. Your script will be sent to an appeal examiner for re-marking.
Further information on The Appeals Process
How do I appeal the Accredited Grade?
The appeals process for the appeal of an SEC Accredited Grade is a process review. The review is focused on looking for errors in the transmission and receipt of student data. The review will only check that your school data was correctly transferred to the SEC and that it was correctly processed by the SEC. If you are still unhappy at the end of this process, you can get verification of the SEC’s processes by independent appeal scrutineers. Under the accredited grades system, the estimated percentage mark provided by the teacher can only be viewed but cannot be appealed. You appeal through the
Students who think that their case has not been processed correctly after the appeals process can make a complaint to the Ombudsman or, in the case of students under 18 years of age, the Ombudsman for Children.
Guidance Counsellor Helpline
The Leaving Certificate candidate helpline, at 1800 265 165, which is provided by the National Parents Council post-primary will be available from 11 am on 3 September for students to reach a guidance counsellor with any queries that they may have. This helpline will operate until after the CAO first round offers and is staffed by qualified guidance counsellors.
Next Step: CAO Offer of College Places
Leaving Cert HUB 2021 aims to answers many of the questions that may arise in the next week or so after the Leaving Cert Results are released, including:
- Leaving Cert Results/ Appealing your result
- CAO Offers/ Appealing your Results/ CAO Available Places/ Deferring a College Place
- Options other than CAO
- Student Financial Supports/ College Grants
- Going to College in UK
- Going to College in EU
- Support for students with a Disability
- Support in College/ Accommodation/ Commuting to College