Interrailing through Europe!
Travelling through Europe by train – the opportunities for discovery are ENDLESS!! Remember a bit of forward planning and a budget will help you through the towns, cities, villages, mountains, and seascapes of Europe!
DiscoverEU free interrail pass.
DiscoverEU free interrail travel pass is an initiative of the European Union, giving 18-year-olds the opportunity to travel around Europe by rail. You can apply and travel as a group of 5 friends. You apply during the two application rounds taking place each year. Successful applicants will receive a free interrail travel pass(!) allowing them to go interrailing across Europe for one month during the permitted travel window.
The next application round opens from 15th – 29th March 2023!
Some Useful tips!
- A sturdy rucksack with padded shoulder pads ……….shoulder blisters are not a good luck for anyone ; )
- Make sure you are insured: Travel & Health
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) EU medical cover (it’s free! )
- Money: Work a daily budget and try to stick to it as much as possible. It might be hard to do at first but you will really appreciate having stuck to the budget towards the end of your travel!!
- Do some research to find out how much it would cost to eat and sleep in each country before you go.
- First Aid: Include band aids, stomach tablets, sun block etc.
Before you go!
- When packing remember that you will have to carry everything on your back. Be sensible
- Good walking boots, dark comfortable clothes (less washing), rain gear.
- Eurail Rail Planner App – trip planner and a timetable in your pocket
- TripAdvisor – travel guide with reviews of accommodation, places to eat, things to do
- HostelWorld, Booking.com and AirBnB
- Revolut or bank on your phone
- Keep passport, insurance information, ID, and inter-rail ticket with you at all times.
- Handy tip— Keep these in a money belt which can be strapped to your body underneath your clothes.
- Contact home often and give someone a general idea of your travel plans.
- Travelling by train by night cuts your accommodation expenses and allows you to spend your days exploring the city.
- Be sure you have paid any necessary train supplement or you may be fined.
- Bring your own food and drink on the train— It’s much cheaper!
Global Pass: Unlimited Rail travel within & between 30 participating European countries. Travel during a consecutive period or choose your own ‘flexi’ travel days.
InterRail One Country Pass: If you would like to visit one specific European Country then One Country Pass might be your best choice.
If you do find yourself in a spot of bother and need help, there are Irish Embassies and Consulates abroad.
If you have any questions about interrailing, you can chat online to a trained Youth Information Officer or leave us a message and we can get back to you.